Thursday, December 01, 2005

just a few beautiful pics




The fruit and nuts are soaking in brandy, and as it's a beautiful day here, I went outside with my camera. Here's what I saw...

I've planted pots of pansies on my front and back patios. The first pic, of a big blue pansy, is from one of those pots. When I was a kid, in the frozen north, my grandmother had beds of pansies around her house in the summertime. Here in Texas, pansies are winter flowers.

Although we got off to a slow start, this has been one of the most beautiful years for fall color in Texas that I can remember in over 20 years here. Even the oaks are turning a glorious red (that's the second pic), and the crepe myrtle leaves are red and orange (the third pic). I had discarded that knock-your-socks-off magenta geranium about 6 weeks ago. I set it out, in it's pot, in one of my flower beds, thinking it would go dormant. Geraniums don't like the heat of Texas summers, and it was yellow and almost dead when I set it aside. I guess it's showed me that it can make a comeback; look at that bloom! What a beautiful day.

3 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

Oh, it's so nice to see fall again when it's all over here!

Sie said...

The flowers look so warm and inviting. I am not looking forward to winter at all this year.

Lisa :-] said...

The past few weeks of weather here in Oregon have just about done in fall colors and flowers. They even threatened snow this week, but so far that hasn't reached the valley floors. Still, things are mostly cold and soggy here. Loved your pictures!