Saturday, April 10, 2010

Just call me Martha...

OK, it was TOTALLY worth it that I declined brunch last Sunday in favor of working on my yard, because when I got home from work on Monday night, not only did the yard look good, but there was a sticky note on my front door telling me that my yard had been chosen by the Homeowner's Association as Yard of the Month for April! Woo Hoo!

I confess that I've secretly coveted this particular honor for many years, but I never thought I'd get it because I thought that you had to belong to the Homeowner's Association to be considered, and for reasons I won't go into here, that's a membership I let lapse years ago. I think it's pretty cool that it's not the case; that you don't have to belong. But I also thought I'd never get it because most of the recent recipients have posted signs in their yard telling who "does" their yard, e.g., they have gardeners or landscaping services putting in their flower beds, whereas I "do" my beds myself.

That is apparently coincidental: when I went to pick up the yard sign I found out how it works, and it couldn't be simpler: they drive around and look for the prettiest yard that month. Period. Needless to say, I'm thrilled that my yard made the cut. In addition to the honor of that (and I really do consider it an honor), I get a gift certificate to Calloway's. Another woo hoo! I'm posting some pics to show off my flowers. Thank goodness they didn't have to see the back yard, though!


IMG_4525

IMG_4542

IMG_4530

IMG_4515

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Woo Hoo!!! Well OF COURSE you won! Sooo pretty. We can't plant annuals outside until after Mother's Day and I can't wait. Thanks for sharing yours! And I'm with you, as much as I love to eat, I think I love working in the yard (especially at planting season) more. Good choice!

pam said...

Beautiful! And so well-deserved :).

Tara said...

Congratulations! It looks beautiful!

Enjoy your award!

Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic. :)

Wiggle's mom said...

Congrats, Mom! You deserve it.
The yard looks great.

Sayalee Laxman Vadnerkar said...

wow ... your yard is beautiful.. truly the yard of the month..

alphawoman said...

Looks beautiful

EarnMoney said...

so, So beautiful

Speak English said...

il looks good!