Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Rich Man, Poor Man

There was a screw up at the closing of my house. The final numbers were wrong, so I was notified by the Title Company that I owed the buyers an additional $4K which I'd need to provide in the form of a cashier's check. According to my bank's website, the bank charges a $10 fee to issue a cashier's check, but when I went to the bank to get the cashier's check, I was told "Oh no, we won't charge you for that! There's no fee for you!" The reason for this is that for now, the proceeds of the sale of my house are in a savings account at the bank, and so they've increased the measly percentage of interest that I earn on my money and waved all sorts of fees that I previously had to pay when I had considerably less money in my accounts. I appreciate the temporary savings, but I can't help but think this policy, of charging all sorts of fees to the customers who can least afford them, is just cold and cruel. It's yet another way that America punishes people for being poor.

3 comments:

pam said...

So exactly right.

Chris said...

Same with medical care, enforcement of laws, you name it....

Sad but true.

For18xxx.COM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.