Friday, October 12, 2007

lunch at Mia's, naps, & Hot Springs...

So, as expected, I did not get picked for jury duty. My number was 431, and it’s been my experience in Dallas that if your number is above 350, you’ll be dismissed. Yesterday the highest number was 331, so I was out of there by 10:30. It was a glorious, sunny, day, so I called Chris to see if he could meet me for lunch at Mia’s, a favorite Tex Mex place with incredible brisket tacos. Christo was working in Highland Park, close to Mia’s, and we agreed to meet at 1:00.

I got there early, and sat down with a book at a table outside. It was wonderful, except for the bad, loud music blasting out of the ubiquitous speakers that seem to be everywhere in America today, but that’s another rant...

As I waited for Chris, I read the book I’d brought, Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales, a terrific book about the psychological and physiological mechanisms that occur and ultimately determine who lives and who dies in life-threatening situations. It’s a fascinating book, well written, and I recommend it highly.

Chris and I had a great lunch, then he went back to work and I came home and read and took a nap. I know, I know, my life IS incredibly exciting.

This weekend I’m off to Hot Springs to visit my sibs. My brothers and I will again be partaking of the baths at the Buckstaff Bath House...

More later.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Glad you had a nice day with your jury duty exercise and all. Have fun this weekend!

Lisa :-] said...

Vacation? Sigh!

Wish a little my way, will you?

Chris said...

Brisket tacos? YUM!

Deep Survival sounds very interesting and I'm currently "between books" so maybe I'll get it next.

I have been reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. It was interesting to read about the anecdotal and research information about how we use snap judgements and I got some insight to my own. However, I was a little disappointed that it didn't contain more tips or discussion on how to apply the information in your own life.

Have a great weekend!

Tammy Brierly said...

Sounds like a wonderful day Judi! Still sick but my trip is posted.

XXOO