Friday, July 31, 2009

bit by bit...

So after a huge amount of hammering and sawing, I have unfinished oak treads and risers installed. The guys did a great job, and any thoughts I'd had that perhaps the stairs were a DIY project were banished by the long hard day put in by both carpenters, one of whom came back for a couple of hours this morning to finish up. Next Wednesday the flooring crew comes in to do the landings, and then to sand, stain and finish, after which I'll be posting more pics.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Stairs scare me. I can do finish carpentry, but I never want to do stairs.

emmapeelDallas said...

I was thoroughly impressed with the amount of hard, physical labor involved in this process; endless fine tuning to make sure all the angles are right. The average charge in this part of the country to build hardwood stairs is about $110 a step (materials and labor). I had one bid for double that, but the rest were in the ballpark. Before I had the work done, that sounded like a lot, but in retrospect, for the work involved, it now seems like a steal.

Jan said...

I am totally impressed with all your work.

Lisa :-] said...

Hey! They look great!

Isn't it funny how one can get used to living with something that basically looks like crap (your "before" pictures)...and then, when it's fixed, you wonder, "how could I have lived with that for so long?!"

emmapeelDallas said...

Thanks, Lisa! Yes, that's exactly what happens, and it never ceases to amaze me!