Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy Independence Day!



















I love the 4th of July! My favorite thing is the fireworks, which they do two nights in a row in Texas (do they do that in other states, too?), but I also love the food. This year, A is cooking ribs, which we'll be eating here at my house tomorrow afternoon, along with coleslaw and corn on the cob and homemade strawberry ice cream, and I'll probably make my 4th of July flag cake, pictured above. There's a heavy dose of grand marnier in the raspberry filling that always makes it a big hit. Alex, Chris and Silas are driving in from Chicago and will arrive late tonight. Silas is sporting a new tooth, and he and Alex will stay with me (woo hoo!) while Chris goes off to Australia for a couple of weeks.

Happy Independence Day!

3 comments:

Tressa bailey said...

That cake is too cute and I don't even like blueberries!

mike said...

Ugh... that cake is my favorite and I'm no where near.

Casedilla said...

I've never heard of fireworks two nights in a row, that must be fun! I think the 4th would definitely have to be my favorite holiday. This year we went to the harbor and got to watch four different firework shows at once, while sitting by the water. It's times like those that I like looking around at everyone else more than watching the show.