Thursday, September 17, 2020

Biopsy


15 September 2020 - So today I had the biopsy. I was told they'll have the results in approximately one week, at which time if it’s benign, I can decide whether I want it removed (YES) and if it’s malignant, there's no choice, I’ll be scheduled to have it removed.

 

I drove myself to and from the biopsy with no problem. For the biopsy, I did not wear the contact lens which I normally wear in that eye for reading. I was given an ice pack to hold against my eyelid for about 5 minutes before I went into the room where the procedure was done. Both eyes were then numbed with an anesthetic eye drop, after which the surgeon administered an anesthetic injection into my lower right eyelid. That stung a bit, but the eyelid became numb almost instantly. Then, keeping my eyes wide open, I had to stare up and to the left the entire time the biopsy was being done. That was actually rather difficult to do, because it meant that the very bright light which the surgeon wears on his forehead to do the procedure shone directly into my eyes the entire time. He had to go in twice to remove enough tissue for the biopsy. There was a slight stinging and tugging sensation as the tissue was removed, but really the most unpleasant part of the procedure was after the biopsy was over, when he cauterized the incision, because I could feel the heat and smell my flesh burning as that was done. Ugh. But the whole thing was over very quickly: 30 minutes from start to finish. Immediately afterward, my eye felt dry and my eyelid was so sore that I didn't even think about putting my contact lens in for the rest of the day. I turned down an eye patch, preferring the incision to be exposed to the air to heal. After I got home, I instilled Systane preservative-free dry eye drops in both eyes whenever they felt dry. Fingers crossed for the results.


No comments: