Thursday, September 17, 2020

Oculoplastic Surgeon Visit 1 2020.09.09

 

I like the oculoplastic surgeon. I met him on September 9, 2020. He asked me to state in my own words why I was there. He then carefully examined the lump on my eyelid and gave me some good news: he said it may not be BCC after all. He said it’s right on the borderline, in terms of characteristics. He said, “If this isn’t malignant, I won’t be surprised. But if it IS malignant, I also won’t be surprised. That’s why it’s got to be biopsied." I was momentarily surprised to hear this, because the Physician's Assistant at the dermotologist's office had FINALLY diagnosed it as Basal Cell Carcinoma. But then I thought back to when I'd worked as a clinician in pediatric psychiatry, about all the patients sent to us by other psychiatrists who had diagnosed them as Bi-polar, but whom we determined, after we'd examined them, had been misdiagnosed, and I realized that until a biopsy is done, diagnosing skin cancer by simply looking at the physical characteristics of the growth isn't really any different from that. So I’m going back on September 15th for the biopsy, but in the meantime I’m feeling optimistic.

 

No comments: