Sunday, August 12, 2007

ah, but I was out for stars, and I wouldn't come in...














Tonight is prime viewing for the Perseid meteor showers...and very shortly, I intend to go out and star gaze.

In 1989 I took all 4 kids with me for this event; Alex was 13, Kath 10, and Mike and Chris were a few days shy of their 4th birthday. I drove to Frisco, now all built up and fancy, back then nothing but empty cottonfields...and I drove out into one of those fields, and parked the car, and the kids and I ate cookies and drank lemonade from a thermos and watched shooting stars until after 2:00 AM. It was a beautiful night.

I love star gazing, and I especially love meteor showers. If you've missed these, don't despair; every November brings the Leonids...

6 comments:

TJ said...

It was wonderful. A really warm summers night and the sky was unbelievable. I lower the tailgate on my truck, laid on my back and gaze off millions of years from now.
How lucky to have lived in this time...I am grateful.
TJ

Tammy Brierly said...

Great shot! What a wonderful memory you created for your family.

XXOO

dreaminglily said...

It was so cloudy here we didn't get to see anything. Ah well. There's other showers lol

~Lily

Lisa :-] said...

Haven't had time for the Perseids... and the Leonids are more often than not hidden by clouds in our neck of the woods.

But I remember muggy August nights in a tiny rowboat on a lake in the Northwoods, pretending to fish for walleye, but really out there for the shooting stars...

Diane M. Roth said...

sounds lovely...

Chris said...

We were very disappointed this year:( Hopefully the leonids will be better. For some reason they seem more brilliant than the perseids here in TN while the reverse seemed true when I lived in FL.