Monday, December 08, 2008

Monday night thoughts...

I was sick this weekend, and wouldn't have gone in to work today except that I had promised to do a presentation this morning. So I went in and did the presentation and made it through the day. Food was out of the question, and as that had been the case since Saturday night, by tonight I was fairly hungry, but my stomach kept reminding me not to consider anything exotic.













When I got home I immediately fed Ike. Yeah, he's still with me, and as he's not sick, and as he jumped off the bed and accompanied me to the bathroom each of the uncountable times I made that trip on Saturday night/Sunday morning, looking deep into my eyes with apparent concern each time (but no doubt thinking "Stop! I'm trying to SLEEP! And how can you possibly feed me if you spend all your time doing THIS?!?!?!")...well, Ike gets fed first no matter what. After holding my breath to keep from gagging while I dispensed one of his favorites, Whiskas Grilled Chicken Dinner in Gravy, with a fresh bowl of water on the side, I changed from work clothes into some comfortable sweats. I exchanged my contacts for reading glasses; my shoes for slippers, and made my way to my kitchen, where I had a little plain Fage yogurt and then, from out of nowhere, suddenly felt a mad craving for rice pudding. Central Market has a perfectly decent rice pudding, but I didn't feel like driving to Central Market. I knew I had all the ingredients at home, and I have a terrific recipe, so I decided I'd make it. It takes a while to make rice pudding, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I turned on the lights on the Christmas tree, put on a little Handel, and puttered around in my kitchen, which shortly smelled pleasantly of vanilla and apricots and cinnamon and eventually...voila...I had a bowl of homemade rice pudding, which my stomach seems to have grudingly accepted. And there are leftovers. Sometimes slow is a good thing...

5 comments:

TJ said...

I hear ya! We are all sick up here, some type of gurgle chest and cold virus.
I haven't been dressed in days, just knitting and watching the horrid weather as it comes and goes.
We have found a bright spot in the near future. We are planning on new yaer getting our house in order, hoping to winter in Texas. I wasn't happy withe winter we spent in Florida. A nice state but the retirement communities turned me off and the foods just wasn't what I like to eat as a rule. But Texas... I love the southwest!
So I am seeing a rainbow...now to save some dollars!
love you, hope you get feeling better.
TJ

Chris said...

Great, a sympathetic cat;)

Sounds like you are starting to feel better, I'm glad. Hang in there J.

Lisa :-] said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick... You didn't get in to some kind of tainted Thanksgiving leftovers, did you?

Sounds like you had a pleasant, restorative evening...

Tammy Brierly said...

If you were not sick I'd run on over in my jammies. Feel better soon! I'm glad Ike is still there. ;) XXOO

Theresa Williams said...

Hope you're feeling better now. I don't know how you made it through work: that's so tough, plus you had that long commute. I know you look forward to a relaxing weekend.