Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Whoa...December 1st ALREADY?






















photo downloaded from Google Images


I love December. There's always been a wonderful sort of magic to the month for me, not least of which is the happy anticipation of Christmas and New Year's Eve. A couple of light years ago, I got married in December, and one of the wedding gifts we received was a beautiful set of handmade cocktail napkins embroidered with Oliver Herford's verse:


"I heard a bird sing,
in the dark of December

A magical thing

And sweet to remember

'We are nearer to spring
Than we were in September'

I heard a bird sing

In the dark of December..."


I still have the napkins. Too beautiful to use (and too fragile...they're embroidered on voile), I planned to have them framed, a task that 36 years after I received them remains undone, and one that perhaps I need to add to my list of 2010 New Year's resolutions, where it will appear somewhere after the recently added but now top of the list item: to replace the guest bath hot water heater, which seems to have sprung a small but ominous leak. Water heater leaks are always ominous, I've learned.

In the meantime...happily, my house is beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

2 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Well, I have a tree in the famly room with no ornaments on it. But we did manage to get the outside lights up on Sunday (some of which have already crapped out.) So I'm wondering what sort of holiday season this foretells...

♥ Braja said...

Oh, those napkins sound beautiful...I'd love to see the finished product...sweet verse...