Sunday, February 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Dave!




















Peering out of tiny eyes
The grubby hands that gripped the rail
Wiped the window clean of frost
As the morning air laid on the latch

A whistle awakened someone there
Next door to the nursery just down the hall
A strange new sound, she never heard before
A strange new sound...that makes girls explore

Tread neat, so small, those little feet
Amid the morn the small heart beats
So much excitement yesterday
That must be rewarded...must be displayed

Large hands lift her through the air
Excited eyes contain her there
The eyes of those she loves and knows
But what's this extra bed just here?
Her puzzled head tips to one side
Amazement swims in those bright green eyes
Glancing down upon this thing
That makes strange sounds...strange sounds that sing

In those silent happy seconds
That surround the sound of this event

A parent smile is made in moments...

They have made for you a friend
And all you ever learned from them
Until you grew much older
Did not compare with when they said

This is your brand new brother...
This is your brand new brother...
This is your brand new brother...

The Greatest Discovery, by Elton John

I was not quite 3½ years old when you were born, but I have that sort of elephant memory thing, so there are details that I remember quite well. We were living in the country, in southeastern Minnesota, in a drafty old farmhouse: two stories tall, no central heat, no indoor plumbing.

Mom had told me she was going to have a baby, but I didn’t spend much time thinking about it. I had other things to think about. I was terribly lonely, always; that is my overwhelming memory of that place. The
fact that I had 5 older siblings was no consolation; there was too much of an age difference for me to be allowed to tag along with any of them. My only, constant companion, E, was usually referred to, sometimes with a chuckle, sometimes with a tsk tsk, depending on who was commenting, as my imaginary friend. Even at 3, I preferred to think of E as my invisible friend, as E was quite real to me. And anyway, E wasn’t a child, but an adult male, whom I chatted up all day as I wandered around the house and yard, exploring, always hoping to find something wonderful and regularly being disappointed in that endeavor, in that place.

Mom never learned to drive, but even if she had, we had just one car, so trips into town were few and far between. Accordingly, Mom sometimes ordered things from the Sears catalogue. I had no idea where babies came from, and at 3, no particular interest in finding out, but it occurred to me, one icy afternoon in late January when a large package from Sears arrived in the mail, that perhaps "the baby" was inside that package! I waited impatiently for Mom to open it, and was incredibly disappointed to see that the big box, so full of promise, held nothing more than a very ordinary, oversized, dark blue and white, speckled enamel roasting pan. As Mom sat in the kitchen, with the roasting pan on her lap, I urged her to put the lid on, and then take it off again, quickly, convinced, if she’d just do that, that "the baby" would magically appear. In late pregnancy, Mom was in no mood to humor me. I managed to try it myself, several times, later that afternoon, only to discover it didn’t work for me either.

Three weeks later, I was quite upset when I woke one morning and found that Mom was gone. Dad said she’d gone to the hospital "to have the baby". In an attempt to amuse me and perhaps distract me from missing her so much, he took me to a neighbor’s farm, where I was allowed to help bottle feed some baby lambs. I still remember the thrill of feeling a baby lamb tugging hard at the bottle I was holding.
After what seemed like forever, but in fact was probably about a week, Mom came home. You were in her arms, but I couldn't see you because you were completely and tidily wrapped up against the winter cold in a soft blue baby blanket. Mom walked through the kitchen and into the living room, where she laid you down in your bed: a big dresser drawer lined with an old quilt. She got you settled there, then she called me to come see you.

I heard you before I saw you: you were making throaty little snuffling sounds. Curious, I knelt on my knees beside the drawer, and bent over the edge to see you up close. My first impression was that you smelled great. Also, you were very pink. You were still swaddled up in that soft blue blanket. The satin edge was cool, and wonderfully smooth to touch, and I felt a wave of envy, running my fingertips lightly over the edge of that lush blanket.

Then I saw that you were looking right at me, staring intently, and I was transfixed. As you studied me with your big baby blues, Mom told me to hold out a finger. She said that you’d grab it if I did. I didn’t believe her, so I pointed a finger and held it in the air in front of you, right above your tightly closed fist, just to prove her wrong. Mom said, "Touch his hand," and I did...to my surprise, your fist flew open. For a moment, your fingers waved dreamily, randomly, like the tentacles on an anemone...but the moment your fingers touched mine, you grabbed on, curling your entire hand tightly around my finger, and holding fast, with a grip like a vice. I laughed out loud, surprised and happy at the magic of that contact, of that moment...

...this is your brand new brother...

Happy 56th, Dave

5 comments:

cw2smom said...

This is precious! What a great, descriptive and loving story!Happy, Happy Birthday to your "baby" brother! Blessings to you both! Lisa

Melissa said...

Aww! I remember reading this or something similar from you before; I loved it then and I love it now.

You were such a sweet little girl. I wasn't so nice when my little brother came along! I was 4 yrs old and the only child. I was and am such a Daddy's girl. I went everywhere with him, I was his shadow and I thought he existed on earth to love and adore me. Enter little brother Brett! All I heard was "Oh, Buzzy (my Dad's nickname)finally got a BOY!! I remember they pinned a little gun and holster set (western's were big then) on his diaper in the hospital nursery and all the family stood there oooing and ahhing over him. My grandmother bsked a cake with BLUE icing. It was boy, boy, boy!!! I looked at that little bundle of blue and thought my world had come to an end. I resented him so much that when he was about 3 weeks old and was lying in the middle of Mom and Daddy's bed while Mom went to the mailbox to get the mail, I picked up a verrry sharp pencil and wrote my name across his face! Oh, I'm so ashamed of that now!!! My mother heard him screaming and came running in to grab me and my weapon. It's a wonder I did'nt put his eye out!

I eventually came to love him ;)

I'm still Daddy's favorite! shhhh! lol

wv: mangial

maniacal? lol moi?

emmapeelDallas said...

Thanks, Lisa, and LOL, Melissa! Yes, I wrote this for Dave a couple of years ago and have posted it on his birthday each year since then (what can I say? I'm a sloth!). Well, I loved Dave, but I didn't love my little niece, Linda, less than 2 years younger than I. I used to take my sister's fountain pen, which she always kept filled with purple ink, and inject that ink into the plums that grew on the tree in our backyard, and I'd try to get the hapless Linda to eat them, although she always refused. See, you and I really were separated at birth!

TJ said...

Only if we could all embrass our siblings with such love...you are a beautiful person Judi.
Happy Birthday Dave!!
Enjoy each and every minute.
Love TJ

Tammy Brierly said...

Now that's a birthday tribute. Beautiful Judi!