Friday, December 28, 2007

What I Did Today - Friday, December 28, 2007

1. I had the garage door guy come back out to fix the genie. The safety beam had stopped functioning, so I could open the door with the remote but not close it. There was no charge, and it took him 5 minutes to fix the problem (the guys who'd done the original installation about a week ago had run a wire beneath the track, rather than around it).
2. I finished a fun read; a crime/thriller set in Chicago: The Blade Itself, by Marcus Sakey.
3. I drove Mike to Banana Republic at the Allen Outlet Mall where his shopping quest was successful (he'd be mortified if I was more specific than that).
4. Mike and I went to one of my favorite places in Dallas, Half Price Books, where I bought 4 Larry McMurtry's (All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers; The Desert Rose; Duane's Depressed; and The Light Goes) and a Doris Lessing (Martha Quest). I love Larry McMurtry, a Texas writer who wrote Terms of Endearment, Horseman Pass By (on which the movie, Hud, was based) and Lonesome Dove, among others, all of which I've read and loved, but I think my favorite Larry McMurtry to date is Moving On. I'm looking forward to reading these new ones (new to me). And Doris Lessing...this year, she won the Nobel Prize for literature, and it occurred to me, I've never read any Lessing, and that bothered me, sooooooooo...I'd like to compile a list of Nobel prize winners for literature, and start working my way through it. I first thought of doing that a couple of light years ago, when I was in my 20's and read Kristen Lavransdatter. The author, Sigrid Undset, won the Nobel prize in literature for that trilogy in 1928. So if you're looking for good books to read, these are some great ones...
5. I spent a couple of hours on the net, looking at real estate across the country, which I do from time to time, to see what my options might be if I were to leave Dallas...

1 comment:

Tammy Brierly said...

Hi Judi, the fence looks great and I had a good chuckle over the arch. lol

Your grandson is changing so fast. Did he get his two front teeth for Christmas? Handsome little dude!

Hope your Christmas was fabulous and you have a great new year. XXOO