Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday night supper - gastronomie sans argent



















When I got married I didn't know how to cook, but I soon set about learning in earnest, by avidly reading Julia Child and Gourmet Magazine. Every month I looked forward to the new issue of Gourmet; especially the monthly feature called Gastronomie Sans Argent, which roughly translates into eating well for little money. In the couple of light years since then I've moved on to other cooking magazines, but I still have some favorites from my Gourmet days, one of which I made for dinner tonight: fusilli with collard greens, bacon, garlic, onions, freshly grated Parmesan and pine nuts. The pine nuts are my own addition. This receipe appeared in Gourmet in February 1992. The kids and I were living in Aspen at the time. Alex had just turned 16; Katharina was 13 and Mike and Chris were 6. It was cold outside, with lots of snow, but we had a fire in the fireplace and the house was cozy the first time we ate this meal. I've made it many times since, and always enjoy it. This is one of those recipes that will be better tomorrow, but that's fine, because I could happily eat this for dinner all week. If you want the recipe, click on the link.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I do not like collard greens, but I would willingly eat that plate of food and I imagine that I would love every bite. I love how the presentation is still taken into account when you cook for youself alone. You're a class act my friend. Wish I could be there to share a plate with you.

Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

This looks delicious! Cooking is something I'm only vaguely proficient with, and I've never taken the time to work on my skills. This inspires me to work a little harder. :) (Although I do love to bake already!)

Tammy Brierly said...

I've been playing catch up on your posts. Any baby news yet? Dave and I had fun with your quiz. XXOO